Saturday, August 25, 2012

Memento Mori


humans have conquered the vastness of space, the depths of the oceans and soared high in many inventions to make our live easier. however, only one thing man cannot fathom: death -- inevitable, inescapable.

we will never know when death would knock into our doorsteps to claim back the lives our Creator has given us. only one thing can be explained from this circumstance: pain. while it is painful to see our love ones bid goodbye, all we can do is to accept this sad reality. i remember entering a cemetery in capiz in one of my trips going to boracay. the big arc, instead of the usual welcome greeting, says "kami karon" and the other side of the arc says, "kamo ugma." so creepy but a reality!
 
i remember a handful of relatives who have already gone ahead of us makes me think of how i would look like when i'll be in the coffin. i usually make comments about the makeup: powders are just too thick; blush ons too pale; and, lipstick too pink. and when my time comes, i don't wanna end up in the coffin with the funny makeup. i don't want to be the object of ridicule for those who will be visiting my wake. my friends would die laughing instead of crying if they see me in the worst makeup one should be.

but of course, what is important is the outfit one should wear. every time a relative dies, it is my barong tagalogs that are donated. i have already given out a lot of them. as of this writing, a relative's husband who died in a car crash a week ago is wearing my barong right now. my relatives would always remember me when a relative dies because of my barongs that will donate.

they would always tell me that whenever you donate something to the dead, you will be rewarded and will live longer. i just hope so.

when my time comes, i wouldn't be wearing any barong as i have already exhausted my collection. i might be in my underwear where the mourners would say, "salad oh!"

remember the dead!


No comments: